Hi Krzysztof, this is a good question
DevalVR is not an alternative to QT. DevalVR is an alternative to play QTVR files
. It is the difference.
The browser recognices the plugin to use by his identifier or mime type.
QT plugin has the identifier "classid=clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B" and the mime type "video/quicktime"
DevalVR plugin has the identifier "classid=clsid:5D2CF9D0-113A-476B-986F-288B54571614" and the mime type "application/x-devalvrx"
and mime type
are written in the HTML code of the web page. You can configure the web page to use QT or DevalVR to view the same MOV file.
The best way to implement the two plugins is described here http://www.devalvr.com/paginas/productos/qtvr.html
in the "Plugin Detection" section. Carel Struycken uses this method to use DevalVR or QT in his page http://www.sphericalpanoramas.com
In the Carel's page, this is the behavior:
In MAC computer:
- QT page is showed always
In WINDOWS computer:
- If DevalVR is installed: DevalVR page is showed
- If QT is installed and DevalVR is not installed: QT page is showed
- If QT is not installed and DevalVR is not installed: Installing page is showed
In Carel's page, the installing page is the DevalVR page, to install DevalVR plugin (220KB) instead QT plugin (20MB standalone version)
This behavior is transparent to the user, and the user does not have to choose the plugin to view the panorama. I think that 70% has QT installed and the rest 30% they can view the panos in seconds installing only DevalVR.